Transportation & Safety Manager - Salem, Virginia
Join the Blue Ridge Beverage Team!
Blue Ridge Beverage Company, Inc., a leading distributor of beer, wine, and non-alcoholic beverages in Central and Southwest Virginia, is looking for a TRANSPORTATION & SAFETY MANAGER to grow with us.
The Transportation & Safety Manager reports directly to the SVP, Operations and is responsible for developing, managing, and administering the company's transportation and safety programs.
We offer competitive pay, a comprehensive benefits package, and a great team environment!
Full Time, Exempt
Location: Salem, VA
Salary Range: DOE
- Paid time off plus 3 scheduled paid holidays
- Bereavement Leave
- Comprehensive Medical Insurance including health, dental, prescription, and vision care
- Basic Life and AD&D Insurance
- Short-term and Long-term Disability
- Flexible Spending Accounts for health care and dependent care
- 401(k) Retirement Plan with some employer contribution
- Employee Assistance Program
- Responsible for developing, implementing, and administering fleet safety and occupational health and safety programs to ensure legal compliance.
- Responsible for leading the company's safety program, including conducting audits, annual safety-related training sessions, investigations, and evaluations at the division level, and implementing measures to improve safety practices.
- Leads the company’s corporate and division level safety committees and committee process.
- Documents, investigates, and reports to appropriate managers any known or reported improper conduct or behavior by any individual which could endanger the individual’s own safety or that of others.
- Maintains documentation required by various state and federal agencies, including OSHA, DOT, FMCSA, and the Virginia DMV.
- Responsible for managing all company driver training programs, including the Federal Entry-Level Driver Training program. Recommends retraining and discipline for drivers as needed.
- Reviews pending and upcoming changes to federal and state DOT and safety regulations. Updates existing practices to ensure the company is compliant.
- Works with SVP, Operations, and division operations managers to define fleet requirements across the business, including purchasing, leasing, and maintenance.
- Coordinates with division operations managers to ensure that all vehicle maintenance is completed as scheduled and that all vehicle safety concerns are addressed immediately.
- Collaborates with SVP, Operations and division operations and delivery managers to ensure that the delivery functions are staffed with personnel who have the necessary skills, experience, knowledge, and abilities.
- Builds consensus on transportation priorities, objectives, and strategies, and gains alignment across all divisions and cross-functional partners across the company.
- Collaborates with managers to develop and implement policies, procedures, goals, and objectives for transportation operations.
- Assists in managing the company's property insurance, including claims management, and ensuring all vehicles and drivers are properly documented.
- Oversees all aspects of driver onboarding, driver safety, and compliance programs.
- Ensures drivers are compliant with DOT and company regulations and manages the tracking of all relevant information on drivers and vehicles.
- Coordinates disaster and emergency response planning and activities with other applicable company leaders.
- Conduct bi-annual route studies at each division focusing on routing efficiencies and appropriate service frequencies.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Relationships & Roles
- Maintains professional internal and external relationships throughout the company.
- Demonstrates a high level of integrity.
- Interacts and collaborates with company employees at all levels in a respectful manner.
- Leads by example, builds trust, values others, holds employees accountable, and communicates effectively with others in a team environment.
- Demonstrates sense of urgency in accomplishing goals and objectives.
- Demonstrates flexibility and able to work nights and early mornings as training, team-building, and other circumstances dictate.
Minimum Position Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in related field or equivalent work experience preferred.
- Five (5) years of experience in safety and/or transportation, or an equivalent combination of experience in both areas.
- Demonstrated ability to interpret and comply with OSHA and other federal, state, and local safety and transportation regulations.
- Demonstrated experience managing accidents, incidents, and emergencies.
- Demonstrated success in developing, implementing, and evaluating training programs, including best practices in safety and transportation activities.
- Demonstrated successful working relationships with clients, suppliers, and other internal and external contacts.
- Demonstrated successful and positive personal leadership, interpersonal, organizational, administrative, and communication skills.
- Demonstrated success in setting priorities; exceptional analytical, organization, and problem-solving skills; strong ability to multi-task across diverse projects, issues, and scenarios, with the ability to pivot quickly.
- OSHA certification required, or willingness to obtain.
- Exceptional oral, written, and overall communication skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- Excellent driving record.
- Availability to travel to all company locations, up to 25% depending on the circumstances and project and sometimes with limited notice.
- Experience in a distribution setting, especially in beverage distribution.
- Holding or having held a Commercial Driver’s License (“CDL”) is a plus.
- Delivery, operations, or sales experience in the three-tier system of beer, wine, spirits, and non-alcohol beverages.