Two years in, Golden brewery overhaul starts to take shape
By Alex Parker, 19 October, 2022 Source: https://www.molsoncoorsblog.com/g150-update
The view outside Peter J. Coors’ office is changing.
What was once an unimpeded view of the Rocky Mountain foothills now includes a bustling construction site, reshaping Molson Coors’ brewery in Golden, Colo.
“That’s the biggest question I get (from employees): ‘How is this going to affect my view?’” says Coors, who is overseeing the brewery’s multi-hundred-million-dollar overhaul, dubbed G150, a nod to the upcoming 150th anniversary of Coors Brewing’s founding.
The mountains may be obscured for some, but what’s clear is that G150 will change how the brewery – one of the world’s largest – operates. The project will upgrade and update the brewery’s fermenting, aging and filtration facilities, replacing its horizontal fermenters with vertical tanks. It will increase the brewery’s ability to collect and reuse carbon dioxide. It will reduce the facilities’ energy and water usage by 20% and waste by 35%. And it will reduce the amount of water it uses by 100 million gallons annually.
It's expected to save Molson Coors millions of dollars a year, making the facility — which produces about a quarter of the company’s beer in the U.S. — one of the most efficient breweries in the world.
Construction is on track to finish in 2024, and more than 60% of the concrete for the 194,000-square-foot project has been poured. More than 80% of the columns supporting the structure have been built. What was once a cooling pond is a multi-floor building that is getting closer to completion every day.
“Now that we have the perimeter wall pretty much completed, you’re starting to get a real feel for what this building is going to look like,” Coors says.
A few miles down the road from the Golden brewery, a team of local craftsmen are constructing dozens of stainless steel fermenting and aging tanks that will visually define G150. Molson Coors contracted Ziemann, a leading beer equipment manufacturer from Germany, to design the 96 tanks that will be part of the facility; most of those are being built in Golden. The first tanks will be set in November, Coors says.
“Those will be the first tanks in the cellar, and everyone will be excited when we start lifting them into place,” Coors says. “It’s going to feel more real once those tanks are in there.”
As progress continues, Coors says the updated facility is on track to age its first beer in 2024.
“This is a huge undertaking. It’s the biggest project we’ve had in Golden in 50 years,” he says. “But it’s going to prepare us to be successful for the next 50 years and beyond.”
- Coors Light, Miller Lite each lay claim to Molson Coors' first Super Bowl spot in 30 years 01/16/2023
- A History of Beer in the U.S. 12/05/2022
- Vizzy gets colorful packaging refresh for ‘23 12/02/2022
- Blue Ridge Beverage Company welcomes Athletic Brewing Company to the team!! 11/14/2022
- Molson Coors announces community investments through Project Justice, details progress on sustainability goals 08/16/2022
- Molson Coors grows top-line on constant currency basis for 5th straight quarter 08/02/2022
- Hamm’s fans can’t get enough of its Throwback Pack 07/22/2022
- All grown up: Simply Spiked Lemonade launches new campaign 07/11/2022
- Virginia’s Barboursville Vineyards Takes Home 2021 Governor’s Cup® with 2015 Paxxito 03/09/2021
- VBWA Monthly Member Spotlight - Jacqueline Archer 02/18/2021
- Miller Genuine Draft unveils dramatic new look 02/15/2021
- An Open Letter to Our Blue Ridge Beverage Company Family 06/18/2020
- Molson Coors Beverage Company unveils new corporate logo and identity 02/12/2020
- 2020 VBWA LEGISLATIVE CONFERENCE 01/30/2020
- Virginia Cider Week 11/15/2019
- Canned Cocktails Made with Premium Distilled Spirits - Waterbird Spirits partners with Blue Ridge Beverage 09/23/2019
- Regine Archer receives Charles Brown Award from Roanoke College 09/11/2019
- Crook & Marker Spiked & Sparkling partners with Blue Ridge Beverage 04/15/2019
- Skipping Rock Beer partners with Blue Ridge Beverage 04/08/2019
- Beale's Beer and Trapezium Brewing Co. partner with Blue Ridge Beverage 03/18/2019
- 2018 Virginia Craft Beer Month 08/01/2018
- Virginia Craft Beer Month 08/01/2017
- Deschutes Brewery Street Pub 2017 06/13/2017
- American Craft Beer Week 05/21/2017
- Deschutes Brewery to Open Tasting Room in Downtown Roanoke 04/17/2017
- Deschutes Brewery Street Pub 08/27/2016
- HOUSE RESOLUTION NO. 40 Commending the Archer family 05/20/2016
- America’s Beer Distributors Celebrate Craft Beer Week 05/16/2016
- Deschutes Brewery is partnering with Blue Ridge Beverage Company 05/12/2016
- Bob Archer elected to the board of directors of the Virginia War Memorial Foundation 11/18/2015
- NBWA Life Service Award recipient Bob Archer 10/13/2015
- Bob Archer appointmented to the Governor's ABC Review Commission 04/24/2015
- Beer Distributors Recognized for Outstanding Service to Industry and Local Communities 09/30/2014
- Blue Ridge Beverage honored with Bill Coors Quality Award for second straight year 06/25/2014
- MillerCoors President's Award Trip Photo Gallery 09/30/2013
- Entertainment Under the Stars: Come Enjoy New Belgium Brewing’s Clips Beer and Film Tour This Friday, September 13 09/13/2013
- 2013 Virginia Craft Brewers Cup winners 08/24/2013
- Boulevard Partners with Blue Ridge Beverage: Expanding in Virginia 05/31/2013
- BRB Chairman Receives Honorary Doctorate at Roanoke College 2013 Commencement 05/04/2013
- Roanoke College to Confer Honorary Degree On Blue Ridge Beverage Chairman 03/26/2013
- Blue Ridge Beverage honored with Bill Coors Quality Award 03/09/2013
- Bob Archer, Chairman, National Beer Wholesalers Association 10/13/2012