NBWA Life Service Award recipient Bob Archer
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: October 13, 2015
CONTACT: Kathleen Joyce, firstname.lastname@example.org or (800) 300-6417
Virginia Beer Distributor Bob Archer Presented Life Service Award at National Convention
Recognized by the National Beer Wholesalers Association for Outstanding Service to Industry and Community
LAS VEGAS, NV – The National Beer Wholesalers Association (NBWA) honored a few of the most talented industry leaders during NBWA’s 78th Annual Convention and Trade Show, taking place October 11 – 14 at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas, Nevada.
NBWA presented its highest honor, the NBWA Life Service Award, to Bob Archer, president and CEO of Blue Ridge Beverage Company in Salem, Virginia.
“NBWA’s Life Service Award is given to beer distributors who have dedicated a lifetime of service to the industry, their community and fellow distributors,” said NBWA President & CEO Craig Purser during the award presentation.
Archer dedicated more than 10 years of service on NBWA’s Board of Directors and held every elected position, serving as chairman of the NBWA Board from 2012-2013. He also is the former president of the Virginia Beer Wholesalers Association.
2014-2015 NBWA Chairman of the Board Eric Best said, “Bob Archer is a man who is very familiar to many in this industry for his vision, dedication and endless energy for independent beer distributors.”
Since 2001, Archer has served as president and CEO of Blue Ridge Beverage Company, a family-owned and -operated business with locations in Salem, Waynesboro, Lynchburg, Abingdon and South Boston, Virginia. He runs the company alongside several family members, including his mother, Regine, and his brothers and sisters – Nancy Doucette, Jim Archer, Paul Archer, Evelyn Hunt and Jackie Archer.
Although the company began in 1938, the Archer family has led Blue Ridge since 1959 when James and Regine Archer purchased the company. After James passed away in 1972, Regine stepped in as president. Today, she still serves Blue Ridge as chairman of the board. NBWA honored Regine Archer with its Life Service Award in 2005.
Blue Ridge started with 10 employees and five brands. Today, the distributorship employs 435 individuals and services more than 4,000 retail customers over a 49-county, 17-city territory with more than 200 brands of beer. Blue Ridge distributes nearly 7 million cases of beer annually and more than 8.5 million total beverage cases – an achievement Archer attributes to the company’s valued employees and licensed retail partners.
“Over the years, we have been blessed with good people who have shared in our vision and worked very, very hard to make it a reality,” Archer has said.
Archer takes pride in Blue Ridge being a family business. “The one major positive impact of the family business model is our ability to become totally engaged in our communities in both charitable and political perspectives,” he has said.
Archer has served numerous local charities and community organizations throughout his career, including those benefiting the military and their families. He is involved with the Lewis-Gale Medical Center, Virginia Chamber of Commerce, Virginia Tech Foundation, Virginia Center for Healthy Communities, the Military Family Support Center and the Virginia Veterans Services Foundation. He also is a member of the First United Methodist Church.
Before working in the family business, Archer served our country. He joined the U.S. Army in 1969 and served as an officer with the 82nd Airborne Division. He also served in Vietnam with the 22nd Replacement Battalion until 1972. During his service, he attained the rank of colonel. In 1999, Archer retired from the U.S. Army Reserves and the Selective Service System after 30 years of military service.
Purser added, “During his service to NBWA, Bob was known for three things: his Virginia Tech team spirit; his passion for photography; and an unmatched love for his family. His biggest fan and supporter is his wife, Sandy. Bob and Sandy are proud parents to three daughters - Michelle Sykes, Lori Raible and Jill Perez – and beam when telling stories about their six grandchildren.”
Download Photo of Bob Archer Accepting the NBWA Life Service Award>>
Watch Video Honoring Bob Archer>>
The National Beer Wholesalers Association (NBWA) represents the interests of America’s 3,300 licensed, independent beer distributor operations in every state, congressional district and media market across the country. Beer distributors are committed to ensuring alcohol is provided safely and responsibly to consumers of legal drinking age through the three-tier, state-based system of alcohol regulation and distribution. To learn more about America’s beer distributors, visit www.AmericasBeerDistributors.com. For additional updates from NBWA, follow @NBWABeer on Twitter, watch NBWA videos on www.youtube.com/NBWABeer and visit https://www.facebook.com/pages/NBWABeer.
- Coors Light is ‘most sustainable’ beer brand, according to surveys 04/19/2023
- Coors Light, Miller Lite each lay claim to Molson Coors' first Super Bowl spot in 30 years 01/16/2023
- A History of Beer in the U.S. 12/05/2022
- Vizzy gets colorful packaging refresh for ‘23 12/02/2022
- Blue Ridge Beverage Company welcomes Athletic Brewing Company to the team!! 11/14/2022
- Two years in, Golden brewery overhaul starts to take shape 10/19/2022
- Molson Coors announces community investments through Project Justice, details progress on sustainability goals 08/16/2022
- Molson Coors grows top-line on constant currency basis for 5th straight quarter 08/02/2022
- Hamm’s fans can’t get enough of its Throwback Pack 07/22/2022
- All grown up: Simply Spiked Lemonade launches new campaign 07/11/2022
- Virginia’s Barboursville Vineyards Takes Home 2021 Governor’s Cup® with 2015 Paxxito 03/09/2021
- VBWA Monthly Member Spotlight - Jacqueline Archer 02/18/2021
- Miller Genuine Draft unveils dramatic new look 02/15/2021
- An Open Letter to Our Blue Ridge Beverage Company Family 06/18/2020
- Molson Coors Beverage Company unveils new corporate logo and identity 02/12/2020
- 2020 VBWA LEGISLATIVE CONFERENCE 01/30/2020
- Virginia Cider Week 11/15/2019
- Canned Cocktails Made with Premium Distilled Spirits - Waterbird Spirits partners with Blue Ridge Beverage 09/23/2019
- Regine Archer receives Charles Brown Award from Roanoke College 09/11/2019
- Crook & Marker Spiked & Sparkling partners with Blue Ridge Beverage 04/15/2019
- Skipping Rock Beer partners with Blue Ridge Beverage 04/08/2019
- Beale's Beer and Trapezium Brewing Co. partner with Blue Ridge Beverage 03/18/2019
- 2018 Virginia Craft Beer Month 08/01/2018
- Virginia Craft Beer Month 08/01/2017
- Deschutes Brewery Street Pub 2017 06/13/2017
- American Craft Beer Week 05/21/2017
- Deschutes Brewery to Open Tasting Room in Downtown Roanoke 04/17/2017
- Deschutes Brewery Street Pub 08/27/2016
- HOUSE RESOLUTION NO. 40 Commending the Archer family 05/20/2016
- America’s Beer Distributors Celebrate Craft Beer Week 05/16/2016
- Deschutes Brewery is partnering with Blue Ridge Beverage Company 05/12/2016
- Bob Archer elected to the board of directors of the Virginia War Memorial Foundation 11/18/2015
- Bob Archer appointmented to the Governor's ABC Review Commission 04/24/2015
- Beer Distributors Recognized for Outstanding Service to Industry and Local Communities 09/30/2014
- Blue Ridge Beverage honored with Bill Coors Quality Award for second straight year 06/25/2014
- MillerCoors President's Award Trip Photo Gallery 09/30/2013
- Entertainment Under the Stars: Come Enjoy New Belgium Brewing’s Clips Beer and Film Tour This Friday, September 13 09/13/2013
- 2013 Virginia Craft Brewers Cup winners 08/24/2013
- Boulevard Partners with Blue Ridge Beverage: Expanding in Virginia 05/31/2013
- BRB Chairman Receives Honorary Doctorate at Roanoke College 2013 Commencement 05/04/2013
- Roanoke College to Confer Honorary Degree On Blue Ridge Beverage Chairman 03/26/2013
- Blue Ridge Beverage honored with Bill Coors Quality Award 03/09/2013
- Bob Archer, Chairman, National Beer Wholesalers Association 10/13/2012