Miller Genuine Draft unveils dramatic new look
By Alex Parker, 15 February, 2021
Miller Genuine Draft is ready for it first major branding overhaul since it initially hit shelves in the U.S. 36 years ago.
Gone is the traditional gold-and-black color motif, replaced by black-and-red theme featuring MGD’s trademark eagle swooping over the familiar Miller script. The imagery gives MGD packaging a new striking and contemporary look that will stand out in U.S. beer aisles, says Anne Pando, senior marketing manager for MGD.
While MGD’s brand packaging has been tweaked from time to time over the years, Molson Coors Beverage Company saw an opportunity to reinvigorate the brand in the United States with a bold update, Pando says.
“Miller Genuine Draft is a large brand in Molson Coors’ U.S. portfolio, and we wanted to breathe some new life into it, re-engage with our core drinkers, and set the brand up for future success,” she says, calling the rebrand “long overdue.”
MGD, an American lager first introduced in 1985, barreled onto the scene by boasting about its cold-filtered process – as opposed to heat pasteurization – that eliminated yeast and other particulates from the brewing process, giving it clarity and flavor akin to a draft pour.
After seeing the success of 2019’s rebrand of Miller64, Pando says the stage was set for the new MGD packaging, which consumers will see on shelves starting this month. The beer itself is not changing.
“We took what worked well for the brand and reinterpreted it,” she says. “We’re taking MGD from the current packaging design that, while impactful at one time, is ready for an update, to a new contemporary look and feel, that is bold and will deliver big shelf impact.”
The new look resonated with test audiences; in fact, purchase intent was 50% higher than current packaging with existing MGD drinkers, she says.
Putting such a modern twist on a brand like MGD, which is popular with older drinkers, has some risks, says Harry Schuhmacher, editor of Beer Business Daily. But it could pay dividends by giving retailers something new to display, while also giving drinkers who have MGD in their rotation a reason to pause in the beer aisle, he says.
The rebranding also could broaden MGD’s appeal beyond its core audience of boomer-aged men, he says.
“The upside is you might get a (new) demographic to try it because it is so different and it looks like a new brand, and people are always wanting to try new things,” he says.
That would be a welcome trend, says Steve Flatt, Molson Coors’ field marketing director for the Great Lakes region.
“This is a great opportunity to reintroduce the brand, bring it back to a brand-new generation of consumers that maybe haven't really heard about it, or maybe their father drank it or someone else drank it,” he says. “This can help us get new distribution and get people excited about the brand again.”
- VBWA Monthly Member Spotlight - Jacqueline Archer 02/18/2021
- An Open Letter to Our Blue Ridge Beverage Company Family 06/18/2020
- Molson Coors Beverage Company unveils new corporate logo and identity 02/12/2020
- 2020 VBWA LEGISLATIVE CONFERENCE 01/30/2020
- Virginia Cider Week 11/15/2019
- Canned Cocktails Made with Premium Distilled Spirits - Waterbird Spirits partners with Blue Ridge Beverage 09/23/2019
- Regine Archer receives Charles Brown Award from Roanoke College 09/11/2019
- Crook & Marker Spiked & Sparkling partners with Blue Ridge Beverage 04/15/2019
- Skipping Rock Beer partners with Blue Ridge Beverage 04/08/2019
- Beale's Beer and Trapezium Brewing Co. partner with Blue Ridge Beverage 03/18/2019
- 2018 Virginia Craft Beer Month 08/01/2018
- Virginia Craft Beer Month 08/01/2017
- Deschutes Brewery Street Pub 2017 06/13/2017
- American Craft Beer Week 05/21/2017
- Deschutes Brewery to Open Tasting Room in Downtown Roanoke 04/17/2017
- Deschutes Brewery Street Pub 08/27/2016
- HOUSE RESOLUTION NO. 40 Commending the Archer family 05/20/2016
- America’s Beer Distributors Celebrate Craft Beer Week 05/16/2016
- Deschutes Brewery is partnering with Blue Ridge Beverage Company 05/12/2016
- Bob Archer elected to the board of directors of the Virginia War Memorial Foundation 11/18/2015
- NBWA Life Service Award recipient Bob Archer 10/13/2015
- Bob Archer appointmented to the Governor's ABC Review Commission 04/24/2015
- Beer Distributors Recognized for Outstanding Service to Industry and Local Communities 09/30/2014
- Blue Ridge Beverage honored with Bill Coors Quality Award for second straight year 06/25/2014
- MillerCoors President's Award Trip Photo Gallery 09/30/2013
- Entertainment Under the Stars: Come Enjoy New Belgium Brewing’s Clips Beer and Film Tour This Friday, September 13 09/13/2013
- 2013 Virginia Craft Brewers Cup winners 08/24/2013
- Boulevard Partners with Blue Ridge Beverage: Expanding in Virginia 05/31/2013
- BRB Chairman Receives Honorary Doctorate at Roanoke College 2013 Commencement 05/04/2013
- Roanoke College to Confer Honorary Degree On Blue Ridge Beverage Chairman 03/26/2013
- Blue Ridge Beverage honored with Bill Coors Quality Award 03/09/2013
- Bob Archer, Chairman, National Beer Wholesalers Association 10/13/2012