Hamm’s fans can’t get enough of its Throwback Pack
It’s safe to say Hamm’s’ loyal fans love its new Throwback Pack.
The retro-inspired look, which includes a striking blue can and a lakeshore scene on its secondary packaging, has flown off shelves since it was introduced in April, giving the brand a welcome boost. Since the Throwback Pack debuted, Hamm’s has grown 62% in volume through July 10 versus 2021, according to IRI multi-outlet and convenience store data.
“It’s been a hot item from the beginning. People were going out of their way to find the retro packs,” says Marissa Meliker, associate marketing manager for Hamm’s. “Our Hammpions have been thrilled with the recognition of the brand’s heritage. It’s exceeded our expectations.”
While the packaging changes boosted sales volume significantly, it’s also helped move the beer faster, Meliker says, citing IRI data showing velocity up 38% from April through July versus last year. And the numbers are an indication that the brand has recovered from supply constraints that hampered it in 2021.
The Throwback Pack – in market through September – was designed to pay tribute to the brand’s heyday in the 1950s and '60s, when it was one of the nation’s best-selling beers. The retro look features the iconic Hamm’s crown superimposed atop of a lakeside scene – a forest overlooking sky-blue waters, while royal-blue limited-edition cans also boast the Hamm’s crown and the brand’s twin slogans: “The beer…refreshing!” and “From the land of sky blue waters.”
When the new packaging launched in the spring, the stated goal was to fuel growth of the iconic 157-year-old brand. Mission accomplished, Meliker says.
“These small packaging changes had a huge impact, and a lot of credit is due to Hamm’s loyal fans, who were so excited about it and kept sharing their photos across social media,” she says. “We knew the Throwback Pack would be popular, and we’re seeing consumers’ enthusiasm translate.”
As Hamm’s rides a wave of momentum, it’s also lining up some new marketing partnerships, including a new merchandise collection with cycling company Cadence.
“We know Hamm’s fans love to represent the brand, so we look forward to seeing these partnerships take off,” Meliker says.
- Molson Coors grows top-line on constant currency basis for 5th straight quarter 08/02/2022
- All grown up: Simply Spiked Lemonade launches new campaign 07/11/2022
- Virginia’s Barboursville Vineyards Takes Home 2021 Governor’s Cup® with 2015 Paxxito 03/09/2021
- VBWA Monthly Member Spotlight - Jacqueline Archer 02/18/2021
- Miller Genuine Draft unveils dramatic new look 02/15/2021
- An Open Letter to Our Blue Ridge Beverage Company Family 06/18/2020
- Molson Coors Beverage Company unveils new corporate logo and identity 02/12/2020
- 2020 VBWA LEGISLATIVE CONFERENCE 01/30/2020
- Virginia Cider Week 11/15/2019
- Canned Cocktails Made with Premium Distilled Spirits - Waterbird Spirits partners with Blue Ridge Beverage 09/23/2019
- Regine Archer receives Charles Brown Award from Roanoke College 09/11/2019
- Crook & Marker Spiked & Sparkling partners with Blue Ridge Beverage 04/15/2019
- Skipping Rock Beer partners with Blue Ridge Beverage 04/08/2019
- Beale's Beer and Trapezium Brewing Co. partner with Blue Ridge Beverage 03/18/2019
- 2018 Virginia Craft Beer Month 08/01/2018
- Virginia Craft Beer Month 08/01/2017
- Deschutes Brewery Street Pub 2017 06/13/2017
- American Craft Beer Week 05/21/2017
- Deschutes Brewery to Open Tasting Room in Downtown Roanoke 04/17/2017
- Deschutes Brewery Street Pub 08/27/2016
- HOUSE RESOLUTION NO. 40 Commending the Archer family 05/20/2016
- America’s Beer Distributors Celebrate Craft Beer Week 05/16/2016
- Deschutes Brewery is partnering with Blue Ridge Beverage Company 05/12/2016
- Bob Archer elected to the board of directors of the Virginia War Memorial Foundation 11/18/2015
- NBWA Life Service Award recipient Bob Archer 10/13/2015
- Bob Archer appointmented to the Governor's ABC Review Commission 04/24/2015
- Beer Distributors Recognized for Outstanding Service to Industry and Local Communities 09/30/2014
- Blue Ridge Beverage honored with Bill Coors Quality Award for second straight year 06/25/2014
- MillerCoors President's Award Trip Photo Gallery 09/30/2013
- Entertainment Under the Stars: Come Enjoy New Belgium Brewing’s Clips Beer and Film Tour This Friday, September 13 09/13/2013
- 2013 Virginia Craft Brewers Cup winners 08/24/2013
- Boulevard Partners with Blue Ridge Beverage: Expanding in Virginia 05/31/2013
- BRB Chairman Receives Honorary Doctorate at Roanoke College 2013 Commencement 05/04/2013
- Roanoke College to Confer Honorary Degree On Blue Ridge Beverage Chairman 03/26/2013
- Blue Ridge Beverage honored with Bill Coors Quality Award 03/09/2013
- Bob Archer, Chairman, National Beer Wholesalers Association 10/13/2012